I’m always looking for tasty additions for my porridge or my evening ‘treat’ bowl. I’m a nibbler and I love decadent snacks. Funnily enough, I never had a sweet tooth before I became a health freak though now I can’t get enough chocolate, as long as it’s of the healthy-ish variety! (85% lindt dark choc plurzzz!)
So these babies just came to me on a whim one day. I wanted to have something that I could grab straight from the fridge or freezer that would be…
b) quick to make
c) full of protein
D) delicious (with a capital d)
& they’re vegan!!! (see notes)
What’s great about these brownie balls is that they can be frozen (or even added into homemade ice-cream), chilled or heated in the microwave (mmm)! I’ll add them to a bowl of chopped banana, yogurt & peanut butter, a big bowl of protein oats or just grab a few on the way out the door to have before/after a workout!
They’re only around 50 calories per piece and FULL OF GOODNESS! The best thing however is that they TASTE LIKE BROWNIES!!! Healthy brownies that you can eat endlessly… with-out-the-guilt! What more could you want? Please let me know if you make these. It takes 5 minutes!
- 150g dates
- 50g raisins
- 60g cashew butter*
- 50ml hazelnut (or alternative) milk
- 60-120g hemp protein (2 – 4 scoops, per taste)
- 30g chocolate whey protein*
- 50g dessicated coconut
- 4 tsp cacao powder
- sea salt, to taste
- vegan dark chocolate to melt over
*Cashew butter is expensive! I usually buy 1kg at a time from Bulk Powders (about 15 euro) as they’re cheaper than Meridian!
*I added chocolate whey which makes it UNvegan but just swap this, easy!
- Add the dates, raisins and cashew butter to a food processor until a paste forms.
- Add the rest of the ingredients bit by bit, to figure out what flavours you prefer.
- When a thick batter forms, take a small amount in partially wet hands and roll into balls or protein bars.
- Optional: melt dark chocolate in a saucepan and drizzle over the top.
- Set aside to cool in fridge for 1 hour.
- Enjoy! I store mine in the freezer so they’ll last longer!
*per ball – yields 34 balls
*using 4 scoops of hemp protein
- Calories 48
- Protein 3g
- Fat 1.7g
- Carbs 5g