I think my life changed on the 2nd April 2017, the day I discovered an absolute knock out alternative to my favourite fry component. Crispy and golden on the outside and full of soft, tasty, love in the middle. Hashbrowns are the kinda food I love, but my body loves to hate. I can’t digest starchy carbs to save my life, so potatoes for me are generally off the menu. That’s why I was so fucking excited to create these little delicious masterpieces.
A lot of alternative recipes just don’t taste like the real deal or take some getting used to. However, these cauliflower hashbrowns are so ridiculously tasty that I would volunteer myself for a live burial in this mixture, eating my way out as my only means of survival.
I could have taken better photos of 4 of them stacked up together, but as per usual, I got carried away, assembled a food tower half-way through the batch, then demolished it before my starvation levels reached critical levels of ‘almost hungry’.
I’m already excited about my next opportunity to whip these up. They’re un-fucking-real! Please try these and let me know if you did! MDiggidydawg x
*yields 1 serving – 4 hashbrowns
- ½ cauliflower head
- ¼ large onion
- 1 egg
- 5g milled chiaseeds
- 5g flaxseed
- ½ – 1 tsp garlic granules
- ½ – 1 tsp turmeric powder (for that golden glow)
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater.
- Place the cauliflower in a mixing bowl and microwave for 1 – 2 minutes, to soften & partially cook.
- When the cauliflower is cool, wrap in a thin tea-towel or cheese-cloth and begin squeezing excess moisture out over the sink. (I filled about ½ a cup!)
- Transfer back to mixing bowl and add in all other ingredients, mixing together until a wet, consistent mixture is formed.
- Spoon out ¼ mixture onto a pan with high heat & coconut oil.
- With a spatula, round off the mixture to make it circular and slowly press it onto the pan – densifying, aka keeping it together.
- Keep on a high heat for 2 minutes (this makes it crispy) before bringing the heat to a medium temperature and frying for an additional 2 minutes.
- Flip over and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! NO I MEAN REALLY ENJOY, THEY ARE DIVINE!
- Calories 158
- Protein 8.3g
- Fat 12.8g
- Carbs 0.9g