Oh, look! Another one of these absolute fluke creations! I hadn’t eaten all day and wanted something quick and convenient. I was NOT expecting a little bundle of creamy and crunchy, savoury, flavoursome, salmony, indulgent GLORY to enter my mouth and subsequently mytastysoul, but it was too good not to share.
These ultra low-carb bites of deliciousness can be enjoyed hot or cold and are a great way to get your protein and healthy fats in. I know, I know, ‘courgette as toast?’ but something I miss from not eating bread is layering my food onto something crunchy – and this does just the trick, with added deliciousness.
I had coincidentally just arrived home from town with my first ever jar of tahini, intended for baba ganoush, but as I saw it laying there on the counter, “sure, fuck it” I thought and thus this little masterpiece was created.
It’s ridiculously simple – it only took me ten minutes! Okay, 15 after all the photos! RIGHT 20 AND I ATE IT COLD THEN, OKAY?!
Recipe below the following druel-worthy photos! Enjoy
- 1 salmon fillet (100g)
- 10g sundried tomato & basil pesto – I used this DELICIOUS organic one
- 5g light tahini – I used this organic one
- 1 spring onion
- small bunch fresh parsley
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- ½ courgette, sliced lengthways
- optional toppings: cucumber, baby tomatoes
- Steam the salmon fillet for 5-10 minutes, until thoroughly cooked. (duh)
- Toast the courgette slices in a toaster-proof bag for 3 minutes, or under the grill – just until slightly juicy, but still dense. Overcooking will make them floppy!
- While the courgette is toasting, shred the salmon with a fork in a mixing bowl and add in the red pesto, tahini, spring onion, parsley, lemon juice and sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- When the ‘toast’ has popped, lay them flat on a chopping board and spoon your mixture onto each courgette piece.
- Top with any additional toppings that tickle your fancy! I used baby tomatoes & cucumber.
- Enjoy! Let me know in the comments if you give these a try!
- Calories 309
- Protein 26.5g
- Fat 22.8g
- Carbs 0.9g