That title is a mouthful but dear God, so is the dish itself. It sounds far-fetched but takes 10-15 minutes, tops. 20 if you had to photograph your food afterwards like the pathetic little food sap you are. I don’t cook with cream, so it’s rare to indulge in such a rich & flavoursome sauce without sacrificing the velvety creaminess that the avocado brings.
This wasn’t intended as an imitation carbonara, but one thing led to another and I’m suddenly delighted that I found a hefty, hearty replacement for my guilty pleasure from Robertos takeaway – dreamy. I almost felt emotional eating this ridiculously indulgent FEAST as I reassure myself that life isn’t all doom and gloom just because you’re making healthy choices. This is what my kinda food is all about. My mouth is still watering…
I made mine really garlicky by using two cloves, but you can use one for less of a bang. In fact, I’m sure there are many things you can do for less of an indulgent treat, but this is proper comfort food full of good healthy fats and when stacked up against its carby counterpart, we’re still onto a winner. Recipe below. Enjoy!
+ a few more mouth-waterers for theatrical effect…
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ a medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic (half for less of a punch)
- 1 ½ portobello mushrooms
- ½ an avocado
- 200ml unsweetened almond milk
- 15g parmesan, grated
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 courgette
- 30g streaky bacon (1 rasher)
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Fry off the onion and 1 clove garlic, chopped, in a deep pan with the coconut oil.
- In a food processor, combine the avocado, almond milk, 1 clove garlic, 10g parmesan, fresh basil leaves, sea salt & black pepper until a smooth, thick and creamy consistency.
- Add the mushrooms to the the pan of garlic & mushrooms and fry off gently.
- Chop the streaky bacon into pieces and fry in a separate pan on a medium heat.
- Shape the courgette into spaghetti by using a spiraliser.
- Steam the spiralised courgette for 2-4 minutes until al-dente.
- Add the avocado mixture to the pan with the onions, garlic and mushrooms and bring to a simmer.
- Combine the spiralised courgette with the creamy sauce, ensuring to coat it all.
- Serve on top of a bed of fresh rocket leaves.
- Top with crispy bacon bits, the other 5g of parmesan, sea salt & black pepper.
- Calories 316
- Fat 23.9g
- Protein 19.1g
- Carbs 7g